Medicare Part B (Medical Outpatient Coverage)

Part B medical insurance helps you pay for medical services outside of a hospital stay such as routine doctors visits and specialist visits.

You are eligible for Part B when you turn 65 or after collecting Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) for 24 months.

Part B is optional meaning you do not have to enroll at age 65.  You may choose to wait if  you or your spouse is still working and you have group health coverage through an employer.  

I have written a related article which you can review by clicking here.  

IMPORTANT:  It is important to be aware that there is a lifetime penalty (10% per year) imposed for not enrolling in Part B when you turn 65 unless you are actively working and receiving group health coverage from an employer with more than 20 “active” employees on the plan.

Part B coverage begins once you meet your deductible, then typically Medicare covers 80% of approved services, while the remaining 20% of your health care costs are paid by you.

Part B also helps with durable medical equipment (DME), including canes, walkers, wheelchairs, and mobility scooters for those with mobility impairments.

Prosthetic devices such as artificial limbs and breast prosthesis following mastectomy, as well as one pair of eye glasses following cataract surgery, and oxygen for home use is also covered.

Some Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C) may offer additional benefits above and beyond Part B.

If you have further questions, please Contact us for more information.

Learn more about Medicare Part C Medicare Advantage