Important Questions to Ask
Before joining a Medicare Advantage Plan here are some important questions to ask.
When you are choosing between Medigap and Medicare Advantage or between Medicare Advantage Plans, here are some questions to keep in mind.
Providers, hospitals, and other facilities
- Will I be able to keep my doctors? Are they in the plan’s network?
- Do doctors and providers I want to see in the future take new patients who have this plan?
- If my providers are not in-network, will the plan still cover my visits?
- Which specialists, hospitals, home health agencies, and skilled nursing facilities are in the plan’s network?
Access to health care
- What is the service area for the plan?
- Do I have any coverage for care received outside the service area?
- Who can I choose as my Primary Care Provider (PCP)?
- Do I need a referral from my PCP to see a specialist?
- Does my doctor need to get approval from the plan to admit me to a hospital?
- What costs should I expect for my coverage (premiums, deductibles, copayments)?
- What is the annual maximum out-of-pocket cost?
- Note: PPOs have different out-of-pocket limits for in-network and out-of-network care. If you’re considering a PPO, find out what the different out-of-pocket limits are for in-network vs. out-of-network care.
- How much will I have to pay out of pocket before coverage starts. Is there a deductible?
- How much is my copay for services I regularly receive, such as annual physical, routine eye exams or specialist visits?
- How much will I pay if I visit an out-of-network provider or facility?
- Are there higher copays for certain types of care, such as hospital stays or home health care?
- Does the plan cover any additional services that Original Medicare does not?
- Dental costs?
- Hearing aids?
- Acupuncture or Therapeutic Massage?
- Are there any rules or restrictions I should be aware of when accessing these benefits?
- Does the plan cover outpatient prescription drugs?
- Are my prescriptions on the plan’s formulary? (https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compare)
- Does the plan impose any coverage restrictions?
- What costs should I expect to pay for my drug coverage (premiums, deductibles, copayments)?
- How much will I have to pay for brand-name & generic drugs?
- What will I pay for my drugs during the coverage gap?
- Will I be able to use my pharmacy? Can I get my drugs through mail order?
- Will the plan cover my prescriptions when I travel?